Monday, March 23, 2009

Money Saving Tips

I'm a busy gal this week but I wanted to get one post in before the move this weekend. I like having this blog to refer to for recipes and other ideas that my aging brain is sure to forget in the blink of an eye. I have decided to brainstorm some ways to save money on groceries. Here's a list of things you can do to save a little cash. If you're not on a tight budget and money's not foremost in your mind, consider sticking to a budget for a period of time as a way to discipline your spending habits. If you know roughly how much you spend on groceries, consider trimming it slightly and use what you've "saved" to pay for a vacation, a special occasion, or perhaps give the difference to a charitable organization that feeds hungry families. There are plenty of people struggling to put food on the table and donations are needed more now than ever! One charity close to my heart is The Sparrow's Nest. Check it out if you are looking for a worthy cause.



Budget-Trimming Ideas



  • Clip coupons - it's like free money! Many stores double the smaller ones so clip them too. I clip everything and buy it if it's a really good deal. Sometimes, we don't eat the canned foods or boxed items but they end up at a food bank. There's nothing wrong with saving money and donating food at the same time.


  • Use your crock pot and casseroles and prepare other easy "one-dish" meals. They are often lower in cost.


  • Call your mom, grandma, aunts, sisters and friends and beg for their easiest and cheapest recipes. Everyone has at least one thing that is dirt-cheap to make and delicious. Of course, if they give you their recipe for fried spam and grits, you can graciously thank them and toss that one away. However, chances are you will get some great alternatives to your own routine.


  • Shop at the discount stores. I love WalMart. I admit that several of my friends will probably disown me for saying that. It is difficult to love a place where I have actually seen someone shopping while their home-perm-kit did its thing under a little disposable plastic cap. Still, they have great prices and I'm a bottom line kind of gal.


  • Shop at the big box retailers. I have a Sam's Club membership and I will probably get one to Costco when we move. Buying in bulk can save you big bucks over time. We pay $20 for like 1,000 dishwashing tabs. I stick them under the sink and forget about them. I love not having to buy paper towels, toilet paper and pet food every week. Storage can become an issue, but I think finding room is worth it.


  • Partner up. I heard this idea a while back and my mother-in-law have applied it occasionally. Basically, you find someone with similar grocery interests and buy in bulk together. Not sure what you will do with that huge package of organic lettuce? Cut it in half and you get the discount and no spoilage. I really like this concept and I'm thinking about joining Meetup.com to find a shopping partner.


  • Take advantage of good deals when you see them. Ground beef is 25 cents a pound? Get a whole bunch of it, make patties and freeze them. Baxter bought me 12 boxes of herbal tea in the fall and I thought, "what am I going to do with all of this tea?" Well, now I'm down to 4 boxes and I'm freaking out! I need my tea! They were such a great deal and they have lasted a nice long while.

Got any more money saving ideas? Feel free to share! I'll be posting again in April after the big move.

No comments: