Saturday, January 31, 2009

Time She Started Pullin' Her Weight Around Here!


I have started Abby on the road of true personal satisfaction - I have allowed her into my kitchen. Now, don't get me wrong, she has practically been there since birth. She has "helped" me plenty up til now but never has she really prepared anything before. When I started looking over her curriculum for the 2nd semester of our little Crane Family Homeschool, I realized that she was really interested in the "Domestic Arts" and that I was more than able to teach her these things as part of our larger lesson plan. We started a unit on sewing right away and I also started allowing her to help plan, purchase ingredients for, and prepare one home-cooked meal per week. We didn't start off with cereal or anything, but with a real dinner (and one she should be proud of). I left out the meat since that invites a whole new aspect to the cooking process (germs and bacteria and all) and helped her pick out a meal that any vegetarian would devour. She chose Cooking Light's Spagattini with Olive Oil and Garlic. She was able to follow all of the steps and it was a delicious success! She even practiced her hostessing skills by serving up sensible portions to everyone else first and herself last. I am so proud of my budding chef!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How precious. I love it!

Unknown said...

I loved helping in the kitchen when I was a kid! What great memories you are making.