Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Football Watchin': UGA vs. LSU

Given my love for Creole cuisine, you'd think I would have used this week to showcase some great recipe for Seafood Gumbo. I did work at THE BEST restaurant in town when I was a student here and I learned a lot about the region and its' food while there. I have eaten my way through New Orleans twice and am a huge fan of all things Creole or Cajun. However, I wasn't in the mood for that on Saturday! So, sorry, no Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce and definitely no Creme Brulee (even though I have new dishes to make them in!) I was in the mood for Japanese food. So I made something awesome, but it doesn't have anything to do with Louisiana. Oh well. We will surely meet again.

This dish is called Niku Tataki. I had it for the first time at our favorite restaurant in Greenville, SC, Irashai Sushi Restaurant. It happens to be the place we got engaged and we started off our meal with this delicious first course. I have served it here with sushi rolls and Unaki (BBQ Eel - my favorite). If you're not a sushi fan, the beef is so wonderful and you can serve it with any Asian-inspired meal. Whatever you do, I beg of you, eat this with chopsticks! Have a little fun!!

Niku Tataki

(or SAKE it to LSU)

(Cold Beef Tenderloin with Pongu Sauce)



To Prepare the Beef:

1/2 whole beef tenderloin

salt & pepper

Olive oil

-Heat a large skillet with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat
-Add the tenderloin and sear on all sides - if you're not sure how to do this, use a guide like
Joy of Cooking for a reference
-Remove beef from pan, wrap in foil and chill in the refrigerator overnight
-about 45 minutes prior to serving, place tenderloin in freezer to firm up the meat

Ponzu Sauce:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl:
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon ginger juice *
2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives

*ginger juice - finely grate 1 small piece of fresh ginger root into a small dish then pick up the lump of shavings and squeeze the juice into your measuring spoon

Final Step:
-Remove tenderloin from freezer and slice very thinly (almost shaved) with an electric carving knife
-Arrange beef in serving dish and pour sauce over the top





No comments: