Saturday, September 27, 2008

Football Watchin': UGA vs. South Carolina

This football watchin' party was really not a football watchin' party. It was really a birthday party for my good friend Anna. Most of the game happened before the party started and Baxter lost the last quarter because of a glitch in the Tivo. Still, there were plenty of other good games on and the guys didn't seem to mind as long as they were watching football. Since everyone ate dinner before they arrived, we had heavy hors d'oeuvers and cake.



The Menu:

Homemade Bread Topped with Smoked Salmon

Avocado Dip

Bruschetta

Lane Cake (with lots and lots of whiskey)


My contribution (besides the cake) was bruschetta. This is a recipe that I've had in my arsenal for years now and it is one of my best. You can really only enjoy this in the Summer and fresh picked basil from the garden makes it doubly delicious and fabulously fragrant. It's a beautiful dish but unfortunately I have no pictures of it - I was too busy entertaining. Maybe next time I make it, I'll post a snapshot or two.


Bruschetta

(or, Steve Spurrier Toast w/ tomatoes)

2-3 large, ripe tomatoes (homegrown if you can get them)

1 medium vidalia onion

2-3 cloves minced garlic

1/4 cup good balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

1 loaf baguette

olive oil

12 or more whole basil leaves

Feta cheese

lemon wedges


1. Mix your tomatoes, onions, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and allow the flavors to marinate for at least 30 minutes
2. Slice the baguette in 1/2" thick slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and toast in a 450 degree oven until lightly browned. Allow to cool before topping.
3. On each piece of toast, place 1 whole leaf of basil, then top with tomato mixture (the basil acts as a little "boat" for the tomatoes and keeps the bread from getting soggy)
4. Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese all over the top, followed by plenty of cracked pepper
5. Serve with lemon wedges

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude....I LOVE lane cake. Especially if it's the kind with coconut, cherries, pecans and all that good stuff. What are the chances of you posting that recipe? I thought only old ladies made that. I'm impressed!

Myrna said...

Dude? Dude! I'm crying over UGAs 31-0 deficit at half-time. Thanks for parting the dark clouds a little. I use my great-grandmother's Lane Cake recipe, handed down to me by my mother. Anna asked for it and when I mentioned it to my Mom she didn't seem to like the idea very much! I will probably post it around the holidays anyway(my Mom doesn't have a computer!) Mine has tons of pecans but no cherries or coconut, although you can stir in whatever you want. Our friend Benji poured Hershey's syrup all over his 2nd piece ...after that, nothing would surprise me!