Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blue Diamond Nut Thins

This is the best gluten free product I have tried so far. And by that, I mean a product that you really wouldn't seek out unless you went gluten free. However, I would eat these crackers no matter what. They are made by Blue Diamond Natural who also packages a lot of the nuts you buy on the baking and snack aisles. They are made with a blend of rice and nuts and are great for dipping in hummus, eating with soup, or topping with cheese or spreads. We have only tried the hazelnut variety so far, but will undoubtedly try them all. The almond crackers come in some flavored varieties, including barbecue flavor which interests me very much. Barbecue flavored chips are usually coated in MSG (which containes gluten) so I have avoided my favorite flavor of potato chips for the better part of 5 or 6 years now. The kids like them okay but would prefer something like a Ritz. Do you think Nabisco will be going gluten free any time soon?
One last thing. I have discovered that a lot of these manufacturers sell direct. I can order a case of these crackers for just $1.99 a box. That's $1 off the regular price at Whole Foods and Kroger. I have seen a lot of great deals buying direct from these manufacturers and may look into joining a food co-op for gluten free folks. There has to be one near me somewhere.
**Please, Jen, refrain from laughing at me now!***

No comments: