Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gluten Free Ain't Free

The cost of going organic, gluten-free, or making other healthy changes to your diet can be costly. If you're used to preparing meals with lots of shortcuts like packaged marinated meats, boxed mixes and frozen meals, buying the equivalent option in a healthier version is quite pricey. Take frozen waffles. If I wanted to, I could get a box of Eggo frozen waffles for $1 on sale somewhere in the next week or two. Store brand flavored syrup? Bet I could find it for $1 too. Margarine costs under $1 at most stores as well. If my kids want frozen waffles now, I have to buy gluten free. That usually means they are also vegan, dairy and nut free - processed in a dedicated facility. All that care costs money. Hence, my new frozen waffles cost over $4 a box. Plus, my kids will only eat real maple syrup and I only use real butter. The price adds up.

Thankfully, I've never been a big fan of frozen waffles - or pizza - or any of those other easy grab meals that families so often turn to when schedules get busy. For this reason, I think I will successfully stay within my weekly food budget. That's great news for a family still trying to regain its financial footing. I was quite pleased to find a lot of gluten free items at Kroger yesterday. My eyes were opened. Not only did they have everything I was looking for, but they had so much more! Things are stashed all over the store and it's a bit like going on a scavenger hunt, but at least they're closer to home and available at a lower price. (Note to self: plan on spending 1 1/2 hours each trip) Everything I bought was on sale and that included GF pastas, a GF cake mix I'm dying to try, and GF snack bars for Saturday's soccer matches.

Don't already have a food budget? Or perhaps you'd like to start keeping track of what you spend as you transition to a new, healthier lifestyle? Starting one is easy. Start by keeping track of what you spend now with any one of the free, downloadable spending trackers available from Microsoft online or other programs. After you get a month or two on paper, you can start to see places you can cut back. You can also see how you stack up compared to the average US family at the USDA's website.

I am quite proudly in the "Low Cost" category - despite eating like royalty most of the time!

No comments: